Snowy Morning in Raleigh

January 18th, 2007

Raleigh had its first snow event of the winter on January 18, 2007 (coincidentally almost two years since the snow disaster). I was out shooting video and grabbed a few shots to post here. The snow accumulation was short lived at precipitation changed over to rain by late morning.

Snow lightly covers cars, sidewalks and Fayetteville Street in Downtown Raleigh.

Portions of the following video were seen on The Weather Channel. Click to play:

The snow fell moderately just before sunrise.

Snow falls in front of One Progress Plaza.

The classic view with snow.

Predawn Fayetteville Street and snow.

Snow rests on the North Carolina State Capitol dome as a man crosses the street.

My dog Beau gets a taste of her first Raleigh snowfall.

Comments

1. Ernest Pecounis says:

January 20th, 2007 at 1:18 pm (#)

Matt, I knew you were preparing something new for us. Amazing shots, as usual. Great composition, beautiful colors, perfect exposure… everything was outstanding. Loved the video clip, too. I went to work that morning and it was nowhere as bad as I thought it would be. Had to exercise caution, but everything was smooth.

By the way, Beau looks very pretty 🙂 She seems to love the snow. Your RaleighSkyline.com “signature” is also cool and I like how you alter the colors to make sure they blend nicely with the background. Hopefully, next time someone steals your photos he/she will be able to recognize the legal owner and give you proper credit. Keep up the good work!!!

2. Leo says:

January 21st, 2007 at 6:08 pm (#)

Hey, i’m in your video, hahaha thats funny. Pics look great, as always.

January 21st, 2007 at 8:05 pm (#)

Ha, really? Is that you scraping your car off? If so, you got on national tv.

4. Leo says:

January 21st, 2007 at 11:47 pm (#)

yeah that’s me. i remember seeing someone filming when i drove off that morning, guess i saw you in action that morning.

5. Dustin says:

January 22nd, 2007 at 3:35 pm (#)

Visiting RalSky really pays off. Leo’s going to be getting movie offers pretty soon.

“Leo* in…..The Ice Scrapper. Rated PG-13. Children under 13 not admitted without parent.”

*As seen on The Weather Channel.

6. Missy says:

January 27th, 2007 at 4:26 am (#)

Thanks so much for the great pics! Just moved here from Florida! The snow was a treat! Told family and friends about your website so they could catch a view.

7. Yvette says:

November 13th, 2007 at 11:06 am (#)

I absolutely loved these pictures. They are great. My favorite photo of the bunch was the Predawn Fayetteville Street and Snow. That picture is beautiful. These pictures remind me somewhat of home. Great job.

8. TZ says:

December 23rd, 2007 at 10:32 pm (#)

Great pictures. I’m hoping for snow in ’08 but the drought is supposed to go on through the winter.