April 2007 Photographs

April 20th, 2007
I suppose I should put a new photo series. This one isn’t too long, but stay tuned for more.
Rainy night above Fayetteville Street.

The sun silhouettes the Raleigh skyline.

The West at North construction site.

Hot dog vendor on F street.

Lunch at the Raleigh Times.

Road near Raleigh’s Lake Johnson.

Wachovia Capitol Center.

From the east.

South Saunders update view after a rain shower.

Comments

April 20th, 2007 at 3:24 pm (#)

Allow me to congratulate you on yet-another outstanding collection of photos. Every one of them is great!!! The sunset photos, especially, are out of this world 🙂

In my usual self, I could not help comparing your last photo with the future skyline image that the City of Raleigh released:

I have said many times before that they exaggerated the size of the new convention center (and hotel), making them look bigger than they are 🙁 The convention center should have been more visible (taller) from the money shot. Hopefully, future developments will add some height in that section. Your own renderings are far more accurate, though.

2. Rob Humphrey says:

April 20th, 2007 at 6:34 pm (#)

Awesome collection. My friends in NY and Boston always ask me about Raleigh..I send them to your collections great effort!

3. Justin says:

April 23rd, 2007 at 12:41 pm (#)

Ernest,

I was worried that the Marriott would completely cover the Progress Energy I building from the money shot, which would be a shame. PE I is a fine looking building and it adds depth to the skyline.

But seeing the progress on the building so far, I agree its size has been distorted. I bet we will be able to see the top of PE I from the money shot.

April 23rd, 2007 at 4:51 pm (#)

Justin,

What will cover much of One Progress Energy – one of my favorites – is Lafayette. At 21 stories, the latter should be enough to block the view. Time to look for another money shot 😆 On a serious note, we need a 60+ story tower directly to the North of the new convention center. That would do miracles for the skyline. Why 60+ stories? Because of the elevation.

5. Emanuel says:

April 23rd, 2007 at 7:26 pm (#)

You somehow improved on perfection. I agree with Justin, we need not just one 60+ story building, but at least 3. With buildings this tall, they don’t have to be all lined up with the rest of the buildings on either side of Fayetteville street to still be seen and they will add depth to the city. I love the night shots, especially the Wachovis building and at this particular angle.

Thanks, Matt

6. Justin says:

April 24th, 2007 at 10:23 am (#)

You will see PE I depending on the angle of the money shot. In some shots the Lafayette will completely block it.

7. Mike says:

April 24th, 2007 at 11:09 am (#)

Great photos! Breathtaking actually! I grew up in Toronto, Canada and am used to seeing a skyline littered with tall buildings….it’s great to see that Raleigh is doing much of the same! I arrived here in 1998 when Wachovia and BB&T buildings were pretty much it and the transformation to how it looks now is just incredible!

8. Robert says:

April 30th, 2007 at 5:28 pm (#)

We should use the dix land as a park.

9. Dustin says:

April 30th, 2007 at 9:27 pm (#)

Robert, I find it strange that you bring up the dorthia dix land. I don’t believe anyone was talking about it in this post.

I think you meant to spam the poll on the front page.

10. Ron R says:

June 1st, 2007 at 1:48 pm (#)

I’m a Raleigh native but I live in Tampa now. I really enjoy your site. I’m so glad to see Raleigh’s downtown growing. Raleigh should have a great skyline to show off it’s pride. It’s a wonderful city and I miss it. You are a great photographer.

11. Tim says:

June 16th, 2007 at 3:41 pm (#)

I would love to see more tall buildings in Raleigh’s Skyline. Grow Raleigh Grow. Beautiful photos! The city of Charlotte looks like concrete, be careful Raleigh.

12. NC2CALI says:

September 9th, 2007 at 11:32 am (#)

Matt,

I stumbled across these photos…I AM OFFICIALLY HOMESICK!!! 🙁

I have been relocated by my job to Oakland,Callifornia for 1 year and I cannot WAIT to get back….

Thanks for these pictures….