Downtown Raleigh for July 2007

July 6th, 2007

I’ve been busy and out of town on occasion, so I apologize for the delay in this series.

The Boylan Wye.

Another day begins in the City of Oaks.

The rising sun peeks into view over downtown.

The full moon over the Moonlight Pizza Company, downtown Raleigh.

As a train rolls through downtown, lightning makes an appearance adjacent to Wachovia Capital Center.

Looking west on East Davie Street.

The moon sits over the new Marriott.

Amtrak streaks under the Boylan Avenue Bridge.

The Capitol looking down Fayetteville Street.

Railroad tracks.

RBC Plaza begins to rise.

Black and white Clarion Hotel.

West and North.

South Saunders view.

Freight waiting to be delivered.

Zoom.

Sunrise at Dorothea Dix.

The new Marriott across Site One.

Briggs Hardware Building.

RBC Plaza crane looks at BB&T as if to say “You’re days are numbered”.

Big zoom from 264.

Block B someday will obscure Two Progress Plaza.

Tracks.

Early morning spider web.

Comments

1. Raleighite says:

July 6th, 2007 at 6:50 pm (#)

Yay!

2. Travis says:

July 6th, 2007 at 8:12 pm (#)

Thank You!

3. JRD says:

July 7th, 2007 at 1:12 am (#)

Amazing!

4. Craig Taylor says:

July 7th, 2007 at 4:53 pm (#)

Awsome. Very cool pictures. Peace & Blessings

5. Josh says:

July 7th, 2007 at 7:03 pm (#)

I thoroughly enjoyed this photoset. I have been frequenting the site for a few months and have yet to express my gratitude for the work you have done. Thank you very much for this experience.

6. Chris B. says:

July 7th, 2007 at 8:58 pm (#)

Great photos! What is being planned for block B? It will be nice to see a 40, 50, or even a 60 story tower.
    Your doing an awesome job bringing the Raleigh Skyline into our homes. Thanks.

7. Ernest Pecounis says:

July 8th, 2007 at 11:35 am (#)

Matt,

Your photos get consistently better and better, just when I thought this was not possible. Not many photographers can see Raleigh the way you do and I know it is extremely hard to push the standards higher. You have been doing a phenomenal job and I admire your dedication. Many thanks for sharing your hard work with us.

July 8th, 2007 at 3:51 pm (#)

Thanks everyone for you kind words.

9. toddr says:

July 8th, 2007 at 5:31 pm (#)

Matt,

I always look forward to seeing your work! I love all the views you provide us here in the growing Capital City. Great job my friend.

10. Emanuel says:

July 8th, 2007 at 7:59 pm (#)

Matt,

The new pics were well worth the wait. Again, you somehow bring new life and a greater appreciation for a city most see as the same views. You find angles that somehow already presents Raleigh as the metropolitan city it’s becoming. Thank you for the pics of Block B, The Marriott/Site One, South Saunders at twilight, Moon over the Pizza Co., RBC’s progress and the night shot of the Marriott and BB&T with the Moon rising in the background is beyond words. The BB&T building at night looks so dominating and has such a powerful presence…..ok I like the entire series and I don’t know how you were able to top the last series(MAY) but you did and that’s what professionals do!!!!! Please continue, being in NYC, this is my only option to enjoy Raleigh’s progress. By the way, I went into the archives and saw your older work and was able to appreciate Raleigh’s progress even the more so and your growth as a photographer as well.

THANK YOU!

11. Matt K says:

July 8th, 2007 at 11:57 pm (#)

Finally!!!!!!!!! 🙂

That zoom view from 264 is impressive, Matt. Since I live in Knightdale, I’ve seen that view often and wondered how it might look captured with a good camera (I’ve tried from the car with a cell phone camera, obviously with poor results… lol). It will only get better as Raleigh continues to rise.

There’s another spot south of Knightdale along Bethlehem Road somewhere, that you can make out a good portion of the skyline in the distance on a good day. Consider searching it out and giving it a try sometime. 🙂 It may not make for as pleasant a photo as the 264 view (it’s not a dramatically different angle), but considering the distance from downtown, it’s somewhat impressive.

July 9th, 2007 at 2:03 pm (#)

Thanks for the suggestion Matt K, I’ll definitely check that out.

13. Jonah says:

July 18th, 2007 at 2:26 pm (#)

Great photos, Matt. I especially like the train photos (as I mentioned a while back). You certainly put rank amateurs like myself to shame; my best photos don’t hold a candle to your stuff.

Keep up the great work.

14. CSP says:

July 28th, 2007 at 2:05 pm (#)

You seem to capture the essence of every shot you take, thank you.

15. Matthew Brown says:

August 2nd, 2007 at 11:02 am (#)

Wow, what an artist you are! Thanks for sharing.
    Makes me proud to be a Raleighite!

16. greg says:

August 23rd, 2007 at 1:03 pm (#)

i just looked through all of your incredible pictures… ( art ) of pittsburgh, they were absolutely great!! got back from raleigh afew days ago ( cary ) visiting friends aka burgh transplants. i love the cary/raleigh area but there is no place like pittsburgh your photos made me look at the city in a different way and i will not take the incredible scenery and people for granted anymore !! thanks !!

17. kyle says:

September 4th, 2007 at 6:23 pm (#)

I was in Downtown the other day, and the RBC already is looking good!

18. Jessy says:

October 24th, 2007 at 8:32 pm (#)

Omg!
    these are amazing!
    i

19. Jessy says:

October 27th, 2007 at 11:41 am (#)

omg.
    these are amazing!
    i love raleigh so much!
    it’s home, always will be.
    these mean the world to me,
    honestly they do!
    i go on this site all the time just to look at home!
    i miss it tooo much!