Raleigh for January 2008

January 25th, 2008

Forgive me for this rather uninspired RaleighSkyline.com photo series which covers that past month or so. I wanted to release something with the redesigned RalSky, and these photos represent what I had in the queue. Here’s to ’08!

Downtown Raleigh
Hmm…so do you go, go faster, or stop?

Boylan Avenue, Downtown Raleigh
RBC Plaza couldn’t be filling that bookend any better.

Raleigh View Road angle on a clear day. Bonus points for spotting the Southwest Jet.

Snowy Downtown Raleigh
The big snow of 2008! ..actually it was only sticking to a few surfaces that night, downtown.

Raleigh's Mayor Meeker
Meeker the Mayor.

401/70/South Saunders angle from Garner, which is hard to capture unobstructed.

Twilight movement.

RBC Plaza is much higher now than from this picture, near Louisburg Road and Capital Boulevard in north Raleigh.

Musical note birds?

Can I put Durham here?

If you squint, the new convention center looks almost done.

The tower crane for the “L Building” stretches even past West Davie street.

Fred Fletcher Park, downtown Raleigh. This would be a nice angle if you could elevate about 100 feet.

Parting shot from South Saunders, from an alleged snowy morning.

Comments

1. Brendan says:

January 25th, 2008 at 7:47 am (#)

Thanks Matt! I moved to Charlotte two weeks ago, so your site is the only way I can keep tabs on my home town. On a side note, the Mayor looks like he was up to no good…

2. Travis says:

January 25th, 2008 at 8:29 am (#)

That parking lot next to the Convention Center must go. I hope someone is planning something for that great location…

3. TC says:

January 25th, 2008 at 8:48 am (#)

Interesting photo: does anyone know when that ugly gravel pit is going to be removed from downtown Raleigh? Wow, cannot believe after all these years that still exists in downtown Raleigh (what an eyesore).

January 25th, 2008 at 9:52 am (#)

Matt, you were right, this is a very uninspired photo series :LOL:

Seriously, the photos are great, as always. Nice angles, nice composition and certainly excellent quality. The angle from Fletcher Park is definitely a nice one, but as you said it would have been nice if there was a viewing area at least 100ft higher… The photos that I took that day were pretty much along the same lines. Also, I like the image from the Louisburg Rd overpass. My 300mm lens is not sufficient enough to produce a great image – did you crop the photo? – so I assume something above 600mm would give better results.

The angles from the South and South-East areas of downtown offer some stunning views, IMHO. The Raleigh View Rd angle, in particular, is simply wonderful!!! I think that with the completion of Site One, The Edison and Lafayette, this will be one of the top 3 areas to shoot photos of the skyline. That pet food processing plant may be an eyesore, but it gives our skyline a “rustbelt city” flavor.

BTW, that lot next to the convention center – Enterprise car rental – begs for something truly tall. If I see something below 50 stories/600ft I will scream!!! Due to the elevation, I would actually like to see something above 700ft, so I am willing to wait until the time is right. I am afraid that if I hear of any plans to redevelop it before 2016, we will see something small and dysfunctional. Currently, there are no plans made public and I think it will be a while before we hear of anything. Ideally, this is a good site for a two-tower project: an office/hotel tower (35-40 floors) closer to the County Jail Bldg and a residential/hotel tower (50-60 floors) directly to the North of the new convention center. Wishful thinking, I know, but it will be doable some day in the not-so-distant future.

5. JR says:

January 25th, 2008 at 2:09 pm (#)

I kind of like that shot with the factory in front of the skyline. It gives Raleigh an old southern feel which is a vibe that I hope can co-exist with the contemporary design of the new towers and buildings. I found the Southwest plane too. Where do I collect my bonus points? What can I use them for around here?

6. Darren says:

January 25th, 2008 at 5:54 pm (#)

With the sign reflecting behind him, the Mayor looks like he’s wearing a yellow hat to the side.

7. Chris B says:

January 26th, 2008 at 7:59 pm (#)

Awesome work! Does anyone have the latest update on the “Edison”? Will we see the tallest building proposed come to birth?

8. john says:

January 27th, 2008 at 10:31 am (#)

Matt, great photos as ususual. In the last picture, I wish something would go up to block that ugly Marriott. Maybe the Lafayette building will eventually hide it from this angle.
    I was coming in to downtown from the north on Capital Bvld yesterday and we are getting a second skyline from that angle.

January 27th, 2008 at 8:08 pm (#)

Whether The Edison will take our skyline to a new height, or not, it will be dictated strictly by the market. So will the official announcement and ground-breaking. With 2012 being the scheduled deadline, the developer has some time to tweak the project and either shoot for the sky, or deliver something smaller. At this point in time, I would try to “forget” about any updates until the market takes a better turn. By no means The Edison is stalled, but when the developer submits his final plans – along with renderings – he will be absolutely sure he can deliver. Remember, the parking deck must be finished first.

John, most of Marriott will be covered from the money shot angle by Lafayette. I will be happy to see the eyesore (Marriott) disappear in a sea of more inspiring designs, but not for a few more years.

10. Ginny says:

January 29th, 2008 at 2:53 pm (#)

These photos are absolutely stunning. I especially love the bird notes.

11. Michael Bryan says:

January 29th, 2008 at 3:40 pm (#)

Great work as usual. I still would love to see what our sky line would look like if say we entered the BofA building from charlotte into the hole in the ground where the edison will be.

12. John says:

February 3rd, 2008 at 9:44 am (#)

Matt, RBC is listed at about 540 feet tall. That spire they will put on top of it must be over 100 feet for it to make 540.

February 3rd, 2008 at 11:32 am (#)

538ft, to be precise. The actual building will be 401ft and the rest (137ft) will be a combination on mechanical “rooms” and the crown/spire.

14. Dean says:

February 12th, 2008 at 4:10 pm (#)

The ‘factory’ I believe is the Cargill plant south of downtown. That kind of southern-industrial feel could be going by the wayside as brownfield development possibly continues. Look at how the American Tobacco Complex has evolved in Durham. Time and market conditions will tell…

BTW: That’s a pretty cool shot putting it in the foreground like that. I’m impressed!!

15. John says:

February 14th, 2008 at 8:33 am (#)

I see construction going on at the Reynolds site. Any idea when it is to be completed?

16. Tom Jones says:

March 1st, 2008 at 12:39 pm (#)

Matt, terrific eye. You’re capturing the many moods of a growing metropolis. Put me on the invitation list when you’re ready to do a showing.

17. Todd says:

March 4th, 2008 at 10:04 am (#)

You are not allowed to post pictures DURHAM. Durham SUCKS!

18. JR says:

March 4th, 2008 at 11:17 am (#)

The Reynolds Tower on Hillsborough is scheduled to be under construction from 2007-09… I am sure we will begin to see this building rise over the coming months. It will be a nice connector between Fayetteville St and Glenwood South.

March 4th, 2008 at 12:13 pm (#)

FYI: The developer is still going back and forth with the architect about the design of The Hillsborough. The price seems to have far exceed the developer’s expectations, but I do not anticipate any major changes or delays.