Mystery Skyline Angle

February 28th, 2008

Here’s one of the better skyline angles you probably won’t see. Credit goes to my wife for showing me this “mystery” spot. I’m betting in the summertime you couldn’t see much from here.

Mystery Skyline Raleigh
It’s not often you can include the Archdale Building in an image of the Raleigh skyline.

Mystery Skyline Raleigh
I tried to digitally remove a great amount of tree branches that obscured the view.

This teaser of a vantage point conjures thought on what kind of views could be had if we had less tall trees in this area. It is a challenge to find many unique compositions due to the moderate null of our buildings in Raleigh and the city’s surrounding terrain.

Comments

1. TZ says:

February 28th, 2008 at 5:38 pm (#)

Whoa! This view makes Archdale, Progess Energy, RBC, Wachovia, and BB&T look next door to each other!

2. john says:

February 28th, 2008 at 6:14 pm (#)

I can’t figure out where you took this picture. One clue is that there is a train in front of this mystery spot.

3. Brandon says:

February 28th, 2008 at 6:37 pm (#)

is it @ the interchange of Fairveiw Road and Highway 401?????????? do i get a prize!?

4. JR says:

February 28th, 2008 at 9:46 pm (#)

I noticed driving towards the Archdale Building from Seaboard you can really get a cool glimpse of the RBC plaza in the background. This one is rare because it is a northwestern perspective on downtown… it kind of looks like RBC is in front of the Wachovia building.

5. Dustin says:

February 28th, 2008 at 11:01 pm (#)

I’ll give you a clue. It was Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick.

February 29th, 2008 at 9:33 am (#)

Brandon got it right 🙂 Check out a photo I took a little over a year ago:

What a difference RBC Plaza made from this angle!!! Excellent photos, by the way. I always admire the clarity of your evening skyline shots!!!

February 29th, 2008 at 9:35 am (#)

The Edison is going to make a HUGE impact from this angle!!! Both towers will be visible, without even blocking Two Progress Plaza. Archdale Bldg may actually block much of the 38-story component, but the latter will still be visible.

8. Joey says:

February 29th, 2008 at 10:50 am (#)

Another point I have started to notice more and more is from the corner of St. Mary’s and Peace. If you stand up on the hill at Broughton and look between the gas station and the old magic shop. It’s nice at night.

February 29th, 2008 at 11:38 am (#)

You are close Brandon/Ernest, but its actually not from that spot, hence the mystery.

February 29th, 2008 at 5:03 pm (#)

My initial thought was that you took the photo from somewhere between West Str and Dale Str, but I was carried away and decided to go with the Fairview Str option. I know that I get a cool view when I drive on the Wade Ave bridge, as it turns into Capital Blvd, but you seem to be a little more to the South, in an elevated position. Am I closer now?

February 29th, 2008 at 5:45 pm (#)

You are closer now, or at least more in the same alignment, but I am actually north of that location. You can find some clues on Google Streetview, but its still hard to spot. It really is a shame this spot is not more accessible or unobstructed. You really can’t even see the full skyline as in the first picture, you have to shift a few feet.

February 29th, 2008 at 11:01 pm (#)

I was in the location I thought you took the photos from and I could tell it wasn’t the one 🙁 This is a mystery to me and I begin to get frustrated :LOL: I will find it, I promise you.

13. Justin says:

March 1st, 2008 at 10:10 am (#)

Were you not in a parking lot off of Dale Street or north of that too?

14. Anthony says:

March 2nd, 2008 at 3:34 pm (#)

I’ve done some work at the old cotton mill where I was on the roof, that too is a good angle….next time I’ll get my camera.

March 3rd, 2008 at 12:42 pm (#)

Alright…here is the mystery location on Google Streetview during the summertime:

March 3rd, 2008 at 2:16 pm (#)

I’ll give you lots of credit for discovering this angle. Thanks for sharing the mystery angle with us… The skyline looks nice from there, even though you had to do your magic and clear things up for us 🙂

17. JR says:

March 3rd, 2008 at 3:37 pm (#)

I thought for sure you were south of the train tracks… somewhere just north of Seaboard Station. You must have one helluva zoom lens on your camera 😀

18. Mark says:

March 19th, 2008 at 4:24 pm (#)

The rear parking lot of the former Bickett Gallery is just as good or better because it pulls the Archdale Building in a little tighter even. Of course the “meatiest” view of all is still the Broughton shot ….getting up in a cherry picker though would help get the gas station out of the way but next time you are heading east on Peace at St Marys like at your “1:30”

March 19th, 2008 at 6:55 pm (#)

Thanks for the tip Mark. I didn’t know there was a way to get behind those buildings. I don’t know how many times I’ve said the same thing about the Peace/St Mary’s angle. If I had a cherry picker there would be a ton of better angles around town.