Weekly Downtown Series – April 23, 2008

April 23rd, 2008

Raleighview Evening

Black and white city scene

Another teasing skyline angle unrealized

Tower crane hugs RBC plaza

High key

Nash Square

Lake Wheeler Road Cows (RBC Crane and BB&T are at top right)

NCSU Bell Tower from Oberlin

222 Glenwood

2 Progress | Bank of America | 1 Progress

Victorian in Oakwood

Downtown Raleigh

Don’t Walk

Until next time…

Comments

1. Ari says:

April 23rd, 2008 at 6:50 am (#)

Better than expected! G-R-E-A-T. Where was that shot that you said was “another teasing skyline angle unrealized” taken from? It was great!

2. Eric says:

April 23rd, 2008 at 8:05 am (#)

Looks like it was near the cameron village harris teeter. I might be wrong though, could be from around Broughton high School. Anyhow love the regular updates, keep them coming! Just awesome!

April 23rd, 2008 at 8:27 am (#)

Outstanding work, as expected. Loved EVERY single photo in this collection. The second image shows a wild urban landscape, mainly due to its B&W nature. Brilliant shot. The photo with the cows is also nice!!! Thanks for committing yourself to showing us the best Raleigh has to offer.

Just for the record, the “teasing skyline angle” shot was taken from Oberlin Rd. I can see the Cameron Village Harris Teeter wall, to the right of the photo 🙂

4. Travis says:

April 23rd, 2008 at 8:58 am (#)

Every week photos rule!

5. Maciej says:

April 23rd, 2008 at 9:13 am (#)

Victorian oakwood looks very nice (not only because I live jut right around the corner from it)

6. Dave says:

April 23rd, 2008 at 9:44 am (#)

Maybe the Harris-Teeter will let you go up on their roof for some photos?

7. Lisa Jeffries says:

April 24th, 2008 at 12:57 am (#)

Ohhhh the cows 🙂 My parents live out over off Yates Mill and I LOVE driving past the farms. It’s beautiful out there!

8. Scott says:

April 24th, 2008 at 10:55 am (#)

I enjoy the depth of photos you have presented. If you are ever in Wake Forest, go to the Mcd’s on “old” 98 and from the light for US1 look towards Raleigh (between Mcd’s and US1) and you can actually see the skyline from there. It might be the farthest distance that you can see it, except from the air. It definitely will test your zoom lens. Thanks again for your photos!

9. JR says:

April 24th, 2008 at 10:56 am (#)

Thanks for including one of the Victorians in my neighborhood (Oakwood). There really are some beautiful historic houses there, especially up and down East St and along Oakwood Ave. We’d have a better view of the skyline if it weren’t for all the trees… perhaps one day we’ll see some mid-rise development towards Bloodworth, that would certainly offer some great balcony views.

It also looks like 222 Glenwood is about ready to start moving the new tenants in – I wish I had one of those corner condos, stepping out onto the patio is going to be awesome at night there.

10. Jonah says:

April 24th, 2008 at 1:23 pm (#)

Great photos as always Matt. I really like the weekly format!

11. Todd says:

April 24th, 2008 at 1:46 pm (#)

Great work again! The black and white is my favorite. And Scott is right. You can see DT Raleigh skyline from Wake Forest around the old 98 and US1. My wife had a hard time believing that it was DT Raleigh. She couldn’t believe you could see Raleigh from 18 miles away in a car.

April 24th, 2008 at 2:24 pm (#)

Thanks Scott and Todd for the tip. I’ll have to make a trip up there and check that out.

The “unrealized” photo is off of Oberlin, from a parking lot that gives you a little bit more elevation.

13. Trent says:

April 25th, 2008 at 8:06 am (#)

great shots this week. Always great as well, but really good, with some fun mixed in this week.

14. Matt K says:

April 26th, 2008 at 1:59 pm (#)

OMG I love the cows! Haha! I know that’s probably what most people don’t come here to see, but that was an enjoyable shot! You know you’ve got photographic magic going when livestock poses for you! 🙂

15. James says:

April 28th, 2008 at 10:41 am (#)

I was going to post the same thing about being able to see the skyline from Wake Forest. Of course, it is a lot easier to see on a clear day without a lot of humidity, but it is still neat being able to glimpse over at the skyline for a few seconds just after passing the McD’s on the way to work most days. Love the site, btw!