Downtown Series – May 19, 2008

May 19th, 2008

Moon rises over downtown on a clear day

Wild flowers of Lake Wheeler beltline offramp

BB&T and RBC peek over the NCSU Agriculture fields

Lightning jumps from a storm to the ground

Another Rainbow from grounds at Dorothea Dix Hospital

Blue skies from Dorothea Dix

Lightning illuminates a storm behind BB&T from Hillsborough street

Boylan night scene

Duke Raleigh Hospital angle of a Thunderstorm

Skyline from Wake Forest, NC

Downtown

B&W City

Mystery angle

Wet skyline

More wildflowers

Sunlight on Wachovia

Comments

May 21st, 2008 at 3:41 pm (#)

Its from Brookwood drive off of 401, about 8 miles via car from DT.

2. Drew says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 1:22 am (#)

Have you ever captured the angle from the Orthodox Church on Leadmine, up from Crabtree? Would be a great angle, especially with your talent! Could be something different?

3. Jeff says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 6:43 am (#)

what’s the deal with the RBC Plaza? it seems like they were doing a floor every couple days, and now they seemed to have stopped!

???

May 22nd, 2008 at 7:48 am (#)

Jeff, you do know that they are done with adding floors, right? :LOL: Just kidding, I assume you are talking about the exterior. I have not noticed any slow down. In fact, I noticed that the glass exterior is close to completion. Which part of the tower do you see as slow moving?

Drew, I first noticed that angle when I had to visit the Greek Orthodox Church – yes, I am Greek-American – a few months ago, and I was pleasantly surprised with the view of the skyline 🙂 Not much to talk about, but nevertheless interesting. I can only begin to imagine what the view will be from Soleil Center. Just having such a view of the skyline from that tower will be AMAZING!!! Of course, it looks better during winter time, without the trees blocking the view.

5. Anonymous says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 11:23 am (#)

RBC Plaza looks cool in the first pic. And I was at the Farmer’s Market and saw the skyline! At least the tops of BB&T and RBC Plaza.

6. Jeff says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 12:18 pm (#)

LOL Ernest. Yes I did mean the exterior glass. It seemed like they were adding a new floor’s worth every couple of days, but they stopped at the top floor of the main level last week and haven’t continued.

May 22nd, 2008 at 2:07 pm (#)

Jeff, I came back from a walk some time ago and I can assure you there is a lot of work being done at RBC Plaza. I think they are doing a lot of interior work and there is no need to finish the exterior of the top floors – get some fresh air before the humidity comes :LOL: They are also finishing up with the balconies. I wouldn’t be concerned at this point in time because the project is ahead of schedule, as far as I know – we have the drought to thank for it.

8. Jeff says:

May 22nd, 2008 at 5:57 pm (#)

but but but!!! don’t they know i’m coming for my first visit tomorrow? they shouldve finished the exterior for me!

9. Brendan says:

May 23rd, 2008 at 7:13 am (#)

I’ve been watching the RCC webcam footage, and it looks like Site 1 construction is underway! Check it out…

10. DAVID says:

May 25th, 2008 at 7:44 pm (#)

I WANT MORE PICS!!!

11. Walt says:

May 25th, 2008 at 10:33 pm (#)

Matt, I’ve been a fan of your work for some time now. I am curious if you have ever seen the 1909 panoramic view of Raleigh that I believe was taken from the old water tower. I would love to see you do a 2009 version! Thanks for all you do!

12. Barb says:

July 5th, 2008 at 9:31 am (#)

I think a shot of the S. Wilmington St. (inbound; oming up over the bridge to DT) would make a good pic. Check it out

13. Barb says:

July 5th, 2008 at 9:31 am (#)

Great pics, too. Keep up the good work.

14. Connie says:

July 23rd, 2008 at 9:33 am (#)

I just fouond your site. I love your pictures!!!! I am a Raleigh native, and I love seeing pictures of “my” city. Yours are the best I’ve seen. You seem to capture the spirit as well as the beauty of Raleigh. Do you ever make any of these into postcards? They are awesome. Thank you for sharing your talent with us!