Downtown Series – June 3, 2008

June 3rd, 2008

Downtown Raleigh, North Carolina at night

Hodge Road, again.

Space between buildings on West Martin

Skyline prior to a storm, from the convention center parking garage

The Raleigh river?

Counting calories at Krispy Kreme

New angle from Alumni Drive, Centennial Campus

North Carolina State Capitol

Boylan Blue Skies

Lake Wheeler Sunset

Quorum, 222, Clarion, Campbell Law

Raleighite keeps in the shade

CSX locomotives keep each other company at the Raleigh yard

The new downtown Raleigh Marriott

Dusk

Wake County Office building

From the site of NCSU’s new golf course, under construction

Stepping West

Maybe one day it will be 45 mph again

The “Thomas Concrete” angle

RBC Plaza

The Greek Orthodox church angle (thanks to Drew for the tip)

There will be no new series next week as I will be in Pittsburgh!

Comments

1. Matt K says:

June 6th, 2008 at 4:56 pm (#)

I’m late to this thread (too busy during the work week lol), so a few things…

Agreed with the majority opinion on the Marriott. Even for a mid-rise structure, it’s bland and disappointing and the closer it gets to completion, the more I can see why it has drawn such criticism. Being that it’s right on downtown’s “front doorstep” so to speak, it’s too bad something more eye popping couldn’t have been done.

pbeez mentions the spot in front of Broughton as a great view of downtown – I couldn’t agree more. The angle from there gives downtown a nice appearance of density, plus it’s elevated just enough. I’ve snapped a few shots from that corner and while the angle is great, the view is obscured by utility lights and traffic lights (Matt’s so creative, he could do something with that, though…) 🙂 Were it possible to elevate above that mess at the corner of Peace and St. Mary’s, you could capture some fantastic shots. A big part of me likes the madness that all of Peace Street currently is (it has personality!!), but that great view is being obscured by those utility lines. I’d just ask for that one intersection to get cleaned up. 🙂

I was admiring the view coming down 264 from Knightdale this afternoon. For some reason, you do see an appreciable difference in the height of RBC Plaza relative to the other two “big” buildings, compared to the other angles. I’m not sure why that is. I know RBC sits one block further east, but surely THAT can’t be the reason why, not from that far away from downtown.

I’m as frustrated as anyone with what has happened with the evolution of the Hillsborough site. I frequent the Flying Saucer on a regular basis, so I’m all too familiar with what’s been happening (or NOT happening, rather) on that block. Part of me almost hopes the project will be stalled long enough that maybe something better (and bigger) might happen on that site, but at the same time, I don’t wish any bad karma on the project. We all know that regardless of how tall it is (or isn’t), bringing that hotel space downtown is vital for overall success.

Lastly – how long till the tower crane come down from RBC Plaza? Since the spire is up now, I guess that’s the next major visual thing I’m waiting to see happen there. I know there’s signage and other detail things waiting to be completed up top. It’ll also be nice when the building is finally functional and we’ll start seeing lighting at night.

June 6th, 2008 at 10:48 pm (#)

The Broughton HS angle is good, but not as great as one might think. I went to the top floor and the image was a bit disappointing. Check out one of the photos I took and draw your own conclusions:

It was taken during the Winter of 2006, so the foliage wasn’t blocking the view entirely. Still, not much was visible. I tried different angles from the same building and the results were not good. Maybe there is a perfect location, but it left me with much to be desired. If the trees were not on the way, the picture would have probably been better.

On The Hillsborough I have to say this: The great thing about that vision is the momentum it built for that area. Whether it gets build soon, or not, the very proposal brought forth additional projects. Sure, the Winston Tower is officially stalled until the market conditions – actually the financing terms – improve. I do not know about the One Glenwood project because it remains a secret, but I have a feeling that financing will not be the issue, due to the developer’s reputation. once The Hillsborough, or anything else in its place, break ground officially, I anticipate other developers to rush and propose more projects. The state of condo sales in DT Raleigh is very good, no matter how bad the picture is painted by the media – they love to create doom and gloom. What we need is some decent projects to actually demonstrate how desirable and under-served high-rise living is.

3. Drew says:

June 7th, 2008 at 6:57 am (#)

Matt-

I have not been up there to the Greek Orthodox since RBC Plaza has existed. Your talent shines in every picture you take. Thanks again buddy! I always look forward to the weeks to come.

4. Ari says:

June 9th, 2008 at 7:26 pm (#)

AWESOME PHOTOS, Matt! I saw this a few days ago and forgot to comment (sorry). Also, just as a note to everyone, today the US 70 Clayton Bypass opened!

June 15th, 2008 at 10:24 am (#)

Go to Google and type in “Edison Raleigh Rendering” and click on the very first result to see a rendering of the Edison, as well as an article. I must say, it looks quite neat!

6. Brendan says:

June 15th, 2008 at 12:55 pm (#)

I counted about 48 floors a piece in height for the Edison Towers in that rendering. Albeit, the rendering is far from the ultimate result, but promising none-the-less!

June 15th, 2008 at 1:16 pm (#)

Even though it may not look like the final result, I like the feeling that something of that magnitude will get built in our city! The skyline is gonna look amazing, about fifty years from now, I bet.

8. Todd says:

June 16th, 2008 at 4:23 pm (#)

I hope it happens. That looks pretty cool!

June 17th, 2008 at 7:38 am (#)

Don’t be fooled by the top of the building… The two tallest towers will be 38 floors, based on the rendering. However, the crown does look like it adds another 8 floors, or so 🙂 Just be patient and this project may even get taller, but hopefully not shorter.

10. david says:

June 19th, 2008 at 10:53 am (#)

i want more pics now!!!!!!!!!!

11. Heather says:

June 22nd, 2008 at 3:53 pm (#)

Hey there,

I’m a Raleigh girl currently living in London. Was feeling a bit homesick so I did a google search for Raleigh blogs and your site came up first. Just wanted to say that I love your photos and I’ll be coming back for more! I still don’t know if this helps the homesickness or makes it worse but either way it’s nice to see such beautiful photos of my hometown so thank you…

12. tom says:

July 13th, 2008 at 4:10 am (#)

They need to open up the dam and run a river through downtown. Maybe some sort of canal system like providence or San antonio.

13. Jeff says:

July 13th, 2008 at 8:13 pm (#)

The “River Fantasy” page in the archive on here seems not to be working. Was this a rendering of such a proposal?