RBC Plaza Crown Illumination

June 18th, 2008

The crown atop RBC Plaza was flooded with light last night for a short time, pleasantly adding a focal point to the building at night. I’m guessing it was a test run, because it was not on for very long. Here are some pics:

Lights on RBC Plaza’s crown. LED’s will shine on the spire portion (perhaps changing color?). Red aircraft beacons have been added to two corners of the compression ring.

The full moon competed for the brightest thing in the sky.

The RBC crown will prove to be yet another difficult object to properly expose for at night.

The moon gets caught in the RBC cage.

Frustratingly, the illumination of Two Hannover Square/BB&T has been not been coming on until past midnight. Even then, several setbacks are not lit.

Comments

June 22nd, 2008 at 11:41 am (#)

Food for thought, my friend.

2. JR says:

June 24th, 2008 at 4:58 pm (#)

I saw the spire lit up last night driving into downtown on Hillsborough St… wow what a difference at night! It looks fantastic – I hope they play around with the lighting a bit more and have sort of like a rotation of lighting schemes to choose from.

3. roguejam says:

June 27th, 2008 at 8:33 pm (#)

I can’t wait to see this thing lit up in person, I really hope they have different colored lenses/covers for the floodlights (much like the red ones for the NC State belltower).

I noticed today that the aircraft beacons don’t strobe, but seem to be constantly lit. I wonder how visible they would be with the crown and spire lit up.

4. roguejam says:

August 15th, 2008 at 8:48 pm (#)

FWIW: Crown’s lit up again, from the webcam. Going to check that out later tonight!

5. Ari says:

August 15th, 2008 at 10:32 pm (#)

I’m sorry, but what does FWIW mean?

August 16th, 2008 at 10:28 am (#)

For What It’s Worth 🙂

7. Ari says:

August 16th, 2008 at 11:05 am (#)

Alright, thanks Ernest. I’m gonna go back to watching TS Fay now. I’m not liking the latest GFDL run 🙁

8. roguejam says:

August 16th, 2008 at 11:36 am (#)

Hehe, yeah, perhaps I should have wrote it out. Whoops! They turned off the crown after about 30 minutes or so, wonder why that is.

Ari: You like the weather, too? I got a degree last May in Meteorology

9. Ari says:

August 16th, 2008 at 12:01 pm (#)

Yeah, I’m into the weather, primarily tropical cyclones. My family says I should be a meteorologist when I get older, I might just do that. Anyway the reason I am so concerned with TS Fay is because on present course, it will run straight through an area of 90 degree waters with very low wind shear at the time, so it wouldn’t take very long for this thing to blow up into a monster. And to top it all off, this thing could recurve and nail us late next week.

August 16th, 2008 at 5:09 pm (#)

I walked down the new portion of F Street today…it’s quite nice, esp. when Site 1 is done.

11. Matt K. says:

August 16th, 2008 at 5:16 pm (#)

Yes, it seems that the gulf waters always intensify storms much more than the Atlantic waters. Which is why I’m glad to be in North Carolina and not Louisiana or other points on the gulf. 🙂

I haven’t been downtown in several days, I’ve actually been purposely forcing myself to wait till the streetscaping in complete in front of the Convention Center – at that point I would like to get some updated photos (as I’m sure Matt R will too). 🙂 I’m also looking forward to Raleigh Wide Open again – I’ll probably do like I did last year and catch the fireworks from the Boylan Bridge.

Speaking of which – I see they are at work on the new pub there but it looks like it has a ways to go. Any word on when it will open? I also noticed there is some clean up work happening on the property below by the wye. It looks MUCH better, regardless of whether it’s just clean up or prep work for something coming in.

12. Ari says:

August 16th, 2008 at 6:21 pm (#)

OK…your name is Matt also….. So now we have Official Matt R., Matt R. #2, and now Matt K.?? What’s with all these Matts….

August 16th, 2008 at 11:29 pm (#)

For the record, I am Matt H. I am the guy who went to RBC Plaza roof, not Matt Robinson. I am also the guy who brought up Dominic’s in the pizza discussion.

14. Ari says:

August 17th, 2008 at 12:17 am (#)

OK, thanks for the correction. I like to keep my facts straight. Matt R., Matt H., and Matt K.

15. Matt H. says:

August 17th, 2008 at 8:27 am (#)

Maybe I should include the “H” in my name to avoid confusion?

16. Matt K. says:

August 17th, 2008 at 11:13 am (#)

The H would help enormously I think, although I haven’t had any trouble keeping us straight. I’m sure it would benefit the others though. 🙂

I imagine I’m probably the oldest “Matt” of the group on here. Just for the record, I’m not a Raleigh native – but I am a native of eastern NC, who spent many years living up north. I guess you could call me “reclaimed”. 😀

BTW, when I say “Matt R” – I do mean Official Matt – aka Matt Robinson. I didn’t realize anyone was understanding it to be anyone else, unless there is yet another Matt R posting on the site.

Whew – I’m confusing myself here. LOL

17. Ari says:

August 17th, 2008 at 1:12 pm (#)

Alright, we got all our Matts straight. If I may, I’d like to switch the topic back to weather for a minute.

Today the National Hurricane Center/Tropical Prediction Center issued watches and warnings for Florida for TS Fay:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the Florida Keys from Craig Key westward to the Dry Tortugas, including Florida Bay.

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for southeast coast of Florida from Ocean Reef northward to Juniper Inlet, and for Lake Okeechobee.

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for the Florida Keys from south of Ocean Reef to Key West, including the Dry Tortugas and Florida Bay, and for the Florida mainland from Card Sound Bridge westward to Anna Maria Island.

Current intensity:
    Winds: 50 MPH gusting to 65 MPH
    Pressure: 1003 MB/29.62 inches
    Position: 20.5 North 78.6 West
    Movement: West-northwest at 13 MPH

That’s all, I hope I’m not boring anyone. I got to go eat some hot dogs. LOL…..sorta.

18. raleighite says:

August 17th, 2008 at 3:14 pm (#)

noticing…..so much off topic stuff. Wow

19. Ari says:

August 17th, 2008 at 4:25 pm (#)

Hey, don’t blame us for trying to figure out which Matt is which.

20. raleighite says:

August 17th, 2008 at 4:29 pm (#)

saw this lit the other nite….it looked really cool. Way better than those airplane beacons.