RBC Plaza Lights Up

August 22nd, 2008
Here is a quick series from the ceremonial lighting of RBC Plaza crown from Thursday night.

A little bit of hoopla before the switch.
A little bit of hoopla before the switch.
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
There you have it, the RBC Plaza Crown Lighting.
There you have it, the RBC Plaza Crown Lighting.
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
400 feet above Downtown Raleigh at night.
400 feet above Downtown Raleigh at night.
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
South Saunders with everything finally lit.
South Saunders with everything finally lit.
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.

Comments

1. Ashton says:

August 27th, 2008 at 1:37 pm (#)

Matt, just a quick note to tell you that these are wonnnnnderful! [per usual] and that it was awesome to finally meet you!

2. jagblue81 says:

August 27th, 2008 at 3:03 pm (#)

Wow has anyone seen the Edison renderings? It looks great but unfortunately probably will changed drastically or never happen because progress is so slow here.

I saw it on newraleigh.com

August 27th, 2008 at 4:36 pm (#)

The Edison can only change for the better… Gregg – the developer – is a man of a few words and I am sure he will try to deliver the best project possible. The renderings are impressive, but the final product is more likely to look even better.

4. JR says:

August 27th, 2008 at 5:48 pm (#)

The released renderings for the Edison towers already show the proposed crown on top. Doesn’t look too “iconic” to me. I hope they come up to at least 600 ft without cheating (read: RBC Plaza spire) and then do something tasteful on the top to make it visible from all around the beltline.

5. Ari says:

August 27th, 2008 at 8:47 pm (#)

Sorry I’ve been gone everyone, my Time Warner bundle (of junk) service failed yesterday after one of my neighbors either burned the tap up, hit it too much or did something else dumb to it. And yeah JR, I hope they come to at least 650 ft. without a crown. We need that office space!! LOL. L8rs.

6. jagblue81 says:

August 28th, 2008 at 10:27 am (#)

Ernest I hope you’re right

JR it might not be as ionic as we all would like but atleast it looks as if it will help tremendously in distacting people from looking at the BB&T building

I would’ve loved to see the Solei Center DT

7. Constance Pappalardo says:

September 9th, 2008 at 10:30 am (#)

Wonderful site! Congratulations! Do you know when the Lobby will be open? I have a painting somewhere there and want to take a look.
    Thanks!

Con Pappalardo

8. laryea says:

September 20th, 2008 at 9:27 pm (#)

why did they turn the lights off on top of the progress plaza? when it first opened it was lit up for the first year and then after that u never see it lit… ever! rbc plaza better not turn the spire off after next year!

9. Ari says:

September 20th, 2008 at 10:13 pm (#)

Guys, did I get a block or something? I haven’t been able to make ANY comments here for the past week.

September 21st, 2008 at 9:31 pm (#)

Ari, I can still see your posts from this past week…

11. Ari says:

September 22nd, 2008 at 5:12 pm (#)

Really? That’s rather odd, I haven’t been able to see them AT ALL. I still can’t see them. I’m wondering if it may have something to do with my internet going in and out all this past week???

12. Edric says:

September 27th, 2008 at 4:13 pm (#)

I love the pictures, I have been watching this building go up piece by piece on a monthly basis, this gives me the opportunity to see the finishing touches up close. Love the skyline. if there were only about two more bulidings between the new Paza and the Wachovia building, Raleigh’s skyline would be in the runnings.

13. Aniluxuspilia says:

June 30th, 2011 at 8:10 am (#)

Mindset vs. Instruction The head fixation that we dire to get it about turning dreams into reality is that we will demand two
    definite attributes. We need to hold both the freedom Knowledge and a reassuring Mindset. Multifarious people taking connected with Mindset and
    consequently are more meet to miscarry in their attempts to reach what they hankering, when they want. As you can mark the deception of achieving
    anything is mostly having the preferred mindset. In episode it is up ? Mindset and ? Knowledge. Having the beneficial Awareness is pretty
    straightforward, it is wisdom the skills and strategies required to carry to the tasks you desire tilt fit yourself.
    The Mindset however is something the many people attempt with . To set up a hero Mindset means that you are tremendously Motivated and be subjected to the Determination and Inclination Power required to mention the sacrifices you wishes neediness to make.

14. Thomas says:

July 30th, 2011 at 9:56 am (#)

I moved from NY to Raleigh and now Charlotte in the past 5 years… And I really loved Raleigh but I felt lost in the Area , there was no jobs and the jobs I worked at(Financial Industry) was lame, Now the for the living conditions I would say (Raleigh-Cary) one of the best areas, I actually lived in Cary and that area was one of the best I have lived in, If it wasnt so slow I would haved stayed but again the job market was super lame. I really feel that in about 10 years Raleigh will be a major city and the reason is becuase it has a beautiful landscape!! just stunning!! Charlotte isnt that pretty outside the City except for South Park and Dilworth but for my industry it’s a perfect place to be becuase the job market in the Financial Sector is awesome right now even in a down economy, Now Raleigh will nver catch Charlotte as far as a Downtown becuase Charlotte’s Downtown is constantly growing and they are pushing the “Ghetto people” further out (dont worry I’m black) I just dont like to be around people that are not thinking positive and are not trying to better there situation if they fell on hard times. Charlotte is tearing down those ghetto areas and building condos and town houses. Now we have great areas like Ballyntyne, Dill worth, South Park, Lake norman to live and a awesome uptown which has some great places to live, we are currently building another high rise and soon adding a Pro Baseball stadium! But even though I live here in Charlotte and just love the City and will probably never move back to Raleigh I still think Raleigh will be one of the top cities especially the down town area to live in but that will be a good ten years ” A good Ten Years” and I will be in my forties , too old to enjoy a young vibrant city! I moved becuase I needed something that is Happening now becuase I’m in a younger demographic. My Kids will probably move up to Raleigh , I would rather them live in Raleigh in ten years, I will be a great place for them to raise a family when they become older, but for now just TOO SLOW.

July 30th, 2011 at 3:31 pm (#)

@Thomas: The sad thing is that the finance sector in Raleigh will not see much growth and possibly never offer you the kind of opportunities you would love to see. Your kids may see Raleigh as an option if they attend a Triangle-based university and get into a sector other than financing. With the loss of RBC Bank, Raleigh’s little growth in the financing sector will slow even more; I don’t think that PNC will make up for the loss. Not to mention that times in the finance sector are tough, anyway.

16. Anonymous says:

July 31st, 2011 at 9:56 am (#)

@ Thomas a bunch of Bologna about how ugly charlotte looks outside the city, man you dont know much about this lovely town

17. John says:

July 31st, 2011 at 11:50 am (#)

Calm down James. Charlotte is nice outside of downtown. However Raleigh is a very nice looking area all over pretty. Raleigh doesn’t have as many dilapidated ares as Charlotte.

18. John says:

July 31st, 2011 at 11:53 am (#)

Typing on a cell, but you get the point.

19. Thomas says:

August 1st, 2011 at 12:17 am (#)

@ Anonymous, I’m not downplaying the Areas around Charlotte and I know it’s a lovely town ” I live here ” but to be honest it cant compare with the beauty and cleanliness of Raleigh, the same way Raleigh can’t compare with Charlotte’s Downtown! now we have some very nice areas in Charlotte but they are small compared to Cary and Apex, North Hills, Wake forest, I can go on but we get the point… In ten years when Raleigh gets two or three more High rises and some real shopping (like a small North hills) somewhere in the downtown area in Raleigh what will happen at that point will be a great mix of a cool downtown and also clean areas around the city to live in, that will be crazy! But I totally love Charlotte because being in my thirties it’s a right now City that is still growing!! and we have programs in place to clean up the junk areas. How I see it and this is one of the reasons I moved out of Raleigh is in 5 years Charlotte will be incredible and Raleigh will still have a dismal downtown and a slow job market, but in about ten years I will pitch to my children to move to Raleigh becuase the education opportunities are awesome and it’s a super place to raise a family!!

RBC Plaza Lights Up