Downtown Raleigh – August 28, 2008

August 28th, 2008

I apologize for the gap between photo series this time around. Unfortunately, my 1Ds Mark III had to be sent to Canon for repair after only 4 months. I hope to have it back before Raleigh Wide Open 3.

Downtown Raleigh, NC from the Boylan Avenue Bridge.

Downtown from Dorothea Dix at dusk.

Southern end of Downtown from the roof of RBC Plaza.

Crowds gather to watch a Raleigh house move a few blocks.

The mysterious cabooses along Capital Boulevard in Raleigh are placed onto rail.

The shimmer wall on the convention center is finally on.

Raleigh house on wheels.

Clarion and Quorum at night.

Dorothea Dix view.

Fayetteville street.

Green light for the move.

More heavy lifting of large objects in Raleigh.

Dark and stormy night courtesy of Fay.

Perseid meteor streaks across the starry sky.

Panorama of the house moving.

Spotlight beams into the sky.

Second house on wheels.

Rare clear summer day from Boylan.

RBC Plaza with the crown illuminated at sunset.

Comments

1. Sam says:

August 28th, 2008 at 7:10 am (#)

Beautiful series, Matt! I saw the shimmer wall illuminated last night as we drove by on Western after the OneRepublic/John Mayer concert and was so hoping you caught some shots of it… you didn’t disappoint! Thank you for taking the time to make my hometown look so damn good. 5 acorns!

2. team mongo says:

August 28th, 2008 at 8:57 am (#)

great pix

3. laryea says:

August 28th, 2008 at 9:00 am (#)

matt u r the man hoss!

4. JNG says:

August 28th, 2008 at 9:23 am (#)

Awesome! I like how RBC almost blends in with the sky at times, especially when viewed from the West.

5. _ says:

August 28th, 2008 at 9:56 am (#)

phat

6. flyer1965 says:

August 28th, 2008 at 10:21 am (#)

awesome photos. the purple/pink sunset shot from Dorothea Dix should be the new money shot for Raleigh. It’s great how it gets the shimmer wall into the photo too.
    Love the glowing clouds above the RBC tower in the stormy night photo.

Way to go!

August 28th, 2008 at 10:36 am (#)

Where is the beam coming from? WIll it be on all the time at night?

8. Dustin says:

August 28th, 2008 at 11:30 am (#)

Batman.

9. jagblue81 says:

August 28th, 2008 at 11:30 am (#)

Does anyone else think the Wachovia building would look better with some exterior lighting or maybe a lit spire? Even the BB&T building looks OK (and I use that term loosely when referring to the BB&T building) in the night shot. but I hardly notice that Wachovia building anymore.

August 28th, 2008 at 1:33 pm (#)

Matt, you delivered one more amazing thread!!! That last photo, in particular, was simply fantastic!!! RBC Plaza may not be the most inspiring design, but it surely looks great in the skyline – from most angles, anyway. Thanks for taking the time to take these photos and share them with us – many thanks to Beth for being supportive, too 🙂

11. Travis says:

August 28th, 2008 at 1:53 pm (#)

The second picture seems to be the money shot for the Edison when completed!

12. Matt H. says:

August 28th, 2008 at 4:47 pm (#)

Other Matt: please include your last initial to avoid confusion. Kthnxbye.

AWESOME series Matt R., Dorothea Dix is my new wallpaper!!

13. Ari says:

August 28th, 2008 at 5:12 pm (#)

AWESOME shots Matt!!! I especially liked the wide view from Dorothea Dix. It REALLY showcased the skyline. I wish that they had built Dorothea Dix a bit farther northwest, then any shots from there might have caught Glenwood South and the Archdale Building.

Also:

“Where is the beam coming from?”
    “Batman.”

ROFLOLZ 🙂

Also, I didn’t know a meteor would be within view of Raleigh this past week 🙁 Thanks for capturing it for all to see 🙂

Also, I think that you have reverse owned/pwned the Raleigh Skyline (look it up on Wikipedia and you will see what I mean).

FIVE ACORNS, THNX 4 THA PIX Matt R.!

14. david says:

August 28th, 2008 at 8:30 pm (#)

where is the mystery point taken from?

15. Ari says:

August 28th, 2008 at 9:42 pm (#)

WHICH mystery photo??

16. Matt K. says:

August 30th, 2008 at 10:20 pm (#)

Just got home from pizza dinner at Piccolo Italia… it was fantastic. Thanks, Ernest 🙂

I know the Clarion has more than its share of detractors – but even though it’s not prominent on the skyline, it’s a significant part of DT Raleigh, nonetheless. I like its uniqueness downtown. I think people will complain a lot less about it once some taller structures finally rise around it and it has a chance to blend in with downtown, rather than sticking up solitarily between the rest of DT and Glenwood South.

I noticed in the night shots of RBC Plaza that the aircraft beacons are turned off – probably not a necessity with the spire being lit (if a pilot can’t see THAT at night….) I’m assuming they would be illuminated again if there were ever a reason with turn the spire lighting off (maintenance, lighting changes, etc).

The property next to the wye below the Boylan Bridge (just behind the new pub being remodeled) – I’ve noticed it has been cleaned up a LOT. It’s not pretty by any means, but it sure looks much better than it did. Up until a couple of months ago that was a horrible eyesore that spoiled an otherwise terrific view of downtown. Are there development plans for this property or is it being put on the market? Being that someone has gone to the trouble to do that work, I just wondered if anything was happening with that particular property? Anyone?

17. Ernest Johnson says:

September 2nd, 2008 at 6:07 pm (#)

when did the wachovia capitol cenetr get the lighted logo….jeesh…I’ve been out of the loop too long….LOL

18. EP says:

September 4th, 2008 at 7:46 pm (#)

How exciting will DT be if the Edison Towers are approved…finally Raleigh will have options day or night as far as street level activity and more density to the skyline in another direction other than along F. street.

19. pBeez says:

September 4th, 2008 at 11:59 pm (#)

I will miss the great turn-of-the-century store fronts along wilmington when the edison starts it starts construction – if they aren’t gone already (its been several years since I drove down it, living out of state like I do.) Don’t overlook recording all the great old buildings downtown has as it moves forward and upward.

I just love coming here to see your great work Matt. Makes me home sick.