Freezing Rain

October 1st, 2008

No, not that kind of freezing rain. This lightning strike was so close, quick, and bright (and just barely out of frame of course) that rain drops stood still like a starry night sky. Note the leaders apparently between me and the city.

Frozen rain drops and lightning over downtown Raleigh
Frozen rain drops and lightning over downtown Raleigh

This strike occurred mid-exposure during a zoom out.

Closer crop of first image.

Comments

1. laryea says:

October 1st, 2008 at 7:10 am (#)

nice once again matt

2. Matt H. says:

October 1st, 2008 at 8:41 am (#)

pretty cool

October 1st, 2008 at 8:47 am (#)

Simply outstanding!!! I envy you for living so close to the money shot 🙂 Hope you guys are enjoying your new home and its proximity to “critical” spots.

4. mirelanski says:

October 1st, 2008 at 11:56 am (#)

Ernest;

What is the deal with abandoning Skyscrapercity? Everyone has been looking for you.

5. TC says:

October 1st, 2008 at 12:00 pm (#)

Great work. Again, turn the lights on in these buildings.

FYI (THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM – City needs to react NOW!): I parked in the Marriott parking deck the other day (WHAT A JOKE)! Whoever designed the entrance off Lenior should be SHOT. A truck was in front of me, could not make the turn (a 90 degree turn – what a stupid design) to the ticket booth, had to back up (and I had to back up). City Coucil and DRA need to get in front of who is resposible and correct this HUGE problem (if three cars are waiting to go through the ticket booth, cars will be backed up onto the street (also, spaces are too small and traffic flow is pathetic).

Move the ticket booth further in the parking deck off the street (will have to eliminate parking spaces to do this – 90 degree turn, what a half ass job – I will never park in there again – they charged me $3.00 for a half hour)

6. Ari says:

October 1st, 2008 at 12:27 pm (#)

AWESOME shots, Matt R. This storm knocked out power at my house for half a second. It actually seemed like the storm was leaving, then coming back, then leaving….back and forth, in that manner until it FINALLY left.

7. Ari says:

October 1st, 2008 at 12:29 pm (#)

Also, those buildings need those lights on like we need The Edison to be built. WE REALLY NEED IT!!!!

October 1st, 2008 at 12:38 pm (#)

mirelanski, let’s say that I need to focus more on personal and professional goals that need immediate attention… I found myself spending too much time at SSC, particularly during my work time, and lately the discussion took the wrong turn – I was partially to blame, too. All the time I spent posting at SSC could have been better spent on my website, and this will happen, too 😉 Thanks for asking, though.

9. jngreene33 says:

November 5th, 2008 at 12:12 pm (#)

Just wanted to start a different conversation on a different thread. While the appearance of RBC Plaza during the day is arguably good or bad, I must say that I love seeing the spire lit up at night. It definitely adds some “oomph” to the skyline.

10. Jagblue81 says:

November 5th, 2008 at 3:28 pm (#)

i wonder how noticable it will be when the edison towers are complete..in the renderings the crowns appear to be lit…should have an excellent impact on the skyline

11. Lexi says:

March 25th, 2009 at 2:30 pm (#)

Sorry, once again about your grandmother.

I love the photographs.
    They are truly amazing &nd maybe the best I’ve ever seen.
    In my 5th period, now 3rd periiod class I did a poster on my hero, which was Ansel Adams about a month ago.
    But I had never seen your photography till about a week ago.
    I would do that poster over again &nd choose you as my hero,
    Not only because of your great photos, but because you stuck it out through what happened to your grandmother and still go on with your career of taking amazing photographs. Those pictures are seriously like in the top 10 pictures in the world!

12. heart says:

October 21st, 2010 at 8:35 am (#)

so beautiful place and rain i love