Wall Cloud over Downtown Raleigh

May 7th, 2009
This is from the supercell from May 5, 2009. Video from the Canon EOS 5D Mark II / Stills from the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III.

May not be used without a paid license.

Wall Cloud over Downtown Raleigh

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

May 7th, 2009 at 3:23 pm (#)

Wow!! that’s awesome! thanks for these. i was stuck in a windowless room through all of this and didn’t get to see 🙁

2. Anonymous says:

May 7th, 2009 at 3:33 pm (#)

Wow, you could definitely see some rotation there. I guess it could not pull together enough at this point to make a tornado.

3. Anonymous says:

May 7th, 2009 at 4:55 pm (#)

Great video! It would have been a disaster if a tornado was on the ground for a while. There actually was a report of a touch-down in Cary.

4. Anonymous says:

May 7th, 2009 at 5:42 pm (#)

wow that’s scary… if a tornado wipes out raleigh, im moving back where i came from! 😉

5. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 12:12 am (#)

Wow… scary stuff!

6. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 8:12 am (#)

How much time does this movie represent?

7. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 9:07 am (#)

I am speechless about this video. Totally awesome. The NWS would just LOVE this video. Towards the end of the video, as the rotation passed our skyscrapers, this supercell was actually producing (we think). Whatever the case, this is awesome video, you should consider chasing sometime! As evidenced recently, there is significant weather for people to chase around here.

P.S. Are you a SKYWARN spotter? I am. Have been for about a month now.

8. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 10:41 am (#)

Can’t make comments on the video, but the photo does look scary. Hopefully, nobody was showing any condos to potential buyers at the RBC Plaza 😆

Thanks for sharing your work, Matt… It is much appreciated, as always 😉

9. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 10:43 am (#)

Just managed to see the video and it was scary, to say the least. Amazing footage!!!

10. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 1:09 pm (#)

I didn’t turn my radio on in my car until I was almost dead in the middle of all that. It is scary yet thrilling to look at the video and see what I was almost in the middle of. My “first encounter” with weather like this. Like a previous poster, I would like to know the time elapsed on the video. It was awesome watching the rain coming from the left of the screen to the right…

11. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 3:27 pm (#)

What’s the total time lapsed over in that video? Looks like just 2-3 minutes. That’s a ton of motion to be covered in just a couple of minutes.

12. Anonymous says:

May 8th, 2009 at 3:29 pm (#)

This video is condensed from 12 minutes to 45 seconds… so about 16x speed. The middle portion of the video is impressive even at real time.

Ari, I’d consider myself a casual chaser. I’ve been out the the plains several years with my brother (who has been chasing for over 15 years). Here is a link to my 2007 report with some tornado photos:

13. Anonymous says:

May 9th, 2009 at 4:30 am (#)

Lovely pics!!! HOW ABOUT THOSE CAROLINA HURRICANES!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Anonymous says:

May 10th, 2009 at 10:07 am (#)

This was pretty sweet, I agree, reminds me of the Canes and their roll in the playoffs.

15. Anonymous says:

May 11th, 2009 at 4:56 pm (#)

Matt,

What is the time frame for this video? In other words, what time of day did you start and stop recording this?

16. Anonymous says:

May 11th, 2009 at 6:09 pm (#)

Approximately between 6:55 and 7:05 PM. The still included in this post was at taken at 6:58 PM.

17. Anonymous says:

January 21st, 2010 at 11:46 pm (#)

love the video im 12 and apsoloutly love this video ive always wanted to be a storm chaser