CAPTRUST Tower at North Hills

January 11th, 2010
I recently had the chance to shoot some photographs from the top of the brand new 17 Story CAPTRUST Tower at North Hills. Have a look.
CAPTRUST Tower at North Hills East, Raleigh, NC

17th floor elevator hallway

17th floor reception area

Looking west from atop CAPTRUST Tower

Downtown Raleigh from CAPTRUST Tower

Fairgrounds

RDU Air Traffic Control Tower

Renaissance Hotel at North Hills

Overview of North Hills from CAPTRUST

CAPTRUST Tower

North Hills East

A big thanks to Luke at CAPTRUST for the invite.

Comments

1. JRD says:

April 13th, 2010 at 11:25 am (#)

Where exactly would the transit center be located? Would it be in the middle of the whole triangle of tracks? I was thinking it would be cool if they made an impressive symmetrical design and built it to dead end Martin St. Kinda the way Fayetteville dead ends at the Capitol and Mem. Auditorium.

April 13th, 2010 at 1:44 pm (#)

Pretty much the entire area in front of the Boylan Ave bridge. It will be bounded by Hargett Str, West Str, Dupont Cir/existing Amtrak station and Boylan Ave. There is potential for a creative design, but we’ll see how creative we’ll get with this project.

3. John says:

April 21st, 2010 at 10:24 am (#)

Being near the transit center will probably increase the property values of homes and land nearby. I don’t expect the residents of Boylan Heights to resist the project itself but I do see them being REALLY close to the decision making during the design of the facility.

4. Lee L says:

April 21st, 2010 at 11:23 am (#)

Ernest, funny to see you mention the FCB 29 story. I have actually seen initial plans and presentation materials for it some years back. They went as far as space planning/leasing block diagrams for individual floors including their executive areas and boardroom from what I saw. I doubt they did any real construction drawings though as I am sure they were trying to line up some interest before proceeding. Like I said it was some time ago, not too long after the completion of Two Hannover and Capital Center. I could see them trying something downtown again at some point though. Mystery building maybe?

5. Lee L says:

April 21st, 2010 at 11:26 am (#)

If the transit center is done right, it will be the best thing to ever happen to Boylan Heights. They will be connected to a true walkable area unlike pretty much anywhere else in the entre area outside of maybe 9th street in Durham.

Then again, considering the general attitudes of the masses here and the crappy “leadership” in the area, it will probably suck.

April 21st, 2010 at 1:40 pm (#)

Lee L,

Regarding the FCB high-rise, I am one of the fortunate people out there. In fact, I have a rendering in my website and I happen to have in my possession one of the images they submitted to the city, courtesy of an old friend who worked at DRA. If that mystery tower is part of their future plans for a return to downtown, I will be ecstatic.

As for the envisioned transit center, I also want to see developers stepping up with some good ideas for redevelopment. We need dense residential developments to make that area safe and vibrant.

7. Emanuel says:

April 22nd, 2010 at 7:27 pm (#)

How soon before we see construction begin on a real high rise downtown?

I was able to visit Raleigh and I enjoyed the driving on 440…I think and seeing the Renaissance Hotel and the Cap Trust building. Hope to see more like that around the city…buildings above tree level.

8. JRD says:

April 22nd, 2010 at 10:32 pm (#)

Above tree level is good. They should make it a law here that a building has to be built at least twice as tall as it is wide at the base. Its an environmental issue, really.

9. laryea says:

April 23rd, 2010 at 10:28 am (#)

n&o has an article on the new transit center today