Downtown Raleigh May 2010

May 13th, 2010

Lightning over Raleigh, NC
Purchase a print of this image

Dabney View
Purchase a print of this image

RBC Plaza Crown Silhouetted by the full moon

Maybe my new favorite angle
Purchase a print of this image

Red Tailed Hawk surveys Raleigh atop the NCSU Bell tower

CAPTRUST Tower at night
Purchase a print of this image

The International Space Station streaks across the sky above downtown

Raleigh Marriott Satellite dish and the moon

Cloud to ground lightning over South Saunders

Full moon over the horizon

Distant storms to the east of Raleigh
Purchase a print of this image

North Carolina State University Bell Tower
Purchase a print of this image

Railroad tracks at the The Boylan Wye (in memory of NCDOT 1792 “City of Raleigh”)

The stage is set for Raleigh’s new amphitheater

Taking a picture of taking a picture of lightning in Raleigh

New cranes dot the skyline for the Wake County Courthouse
Purchase a print of this image

Moonrise over Raleigh

Looking up at the NC State Bell tower

Raleigh’s Bud Light Amphitheater, perhaps

Six Forks Road

Moon shines into RBC Plaza condos

Making way for the new section of Tryon Road

Three tower cranes for the new Wake County Courthouse reflect in RBC Plaza
Purchase a print of this image

Lightning strikes southwest of town

Lawn seating?

Dubai…err, Raleigh

Marriott City Center antennae

State College smoke stack

…Carolina Mudcats

Comments

1. Steve says:

October 7th, 2010 at 11:49 am (#)

I meant “don’t know” not “know know”

2. Travis says:

October 7th, 2010 at 12:18 pm (#)

Danny, I can see an huge upside to the Triad area also. Lets not forget Winston-Salem was the largest city in NC about 70 years ago. I beleive the area just stalled. Once the Triad area starts attracting more high tech jobs like the Triangle, then I feel the Triad will attract more young professionals to bring new life to the area. It worked for the Triangle area, & for Charlotte it was a combination of healthcare jobs, & banking which brought new people to the city. Greensboro is situated in a perfect location with I85 & I40 merging. It seems like that would be a prime place for a buisness or headquarters to relocate.

3. laryea says:

October 7th, 2010 at 1:26 pm (#)

imo i have always loved greensboro. there are alot of things greensboro has that i love. i graduated from college up there and i really miss it very much. i love the way greensboro is laid out, in my opinion much better than raleigh. the greensboro coliseum is one of the oldest in the southeast and i love the location. it has always been there right next to downtown unlike raleigh’s rbc center and charlottes old charlotte coliseum(charlotte just did fix that with time warner cable arena). the greensboro coliseum imo books the BEST acts in all of nc, not even charlotte or raleigh can compete. greensboro’s lay out is much better than raleigh’s. most things are either on wendover, battleground or high point road and are very easy to find, sometimes raleigh gets very confusing with all the scattered locations of things around the city. greensboro also has emerald pointe which is something i’ve loved even as a kid. as for greensboro’s downtown, ernest hit the nail on the wall with elm st. on a fri or sat night elm st (a smaller version of raleighs glenwood south) is just as live as glenwood south in raleigh. as for the high rises… well i like the way greensboro’s buildings are at least all together. they do have character although i dont think it is quite up to par with raleigh’s especially considering the ones we will be getting in the near future. as for winston, i LOVE winston’s skyline and dt. it is way better than raleighs imo HOWEVER this is only as far as looks goes. overall raleigh’s nightlife is just much more than both greensboro and winston especially winston. raleigh’s districts are boomin every night and even more on the weekend and i dont think either g boro or winston have got that consistent yet.

4. Andy S says:

October 7th, 2010 at 1:53 pm (#)

I don’t think people look down on the Triad, it’s just an area that most people in the Triangle are not familiar with, including myself. For the longest time I didn’t even know Greensboro had a skyline. I also believe the cities of the Triad have a much better relationship (generally more organized) than say, Raleigh-Durham, and in the end I think this will help the Triad succeed as a region.

5. Lester says:

October 7th, 2010 at 5:13 pm (#)

I think Winston Salem’s skyline looks better than both Raleigh and Durham’s skyline.

6. Danny says:

October 7th, 2010 at 10:36 pm (#)

Thanks people. I know this is a Raleigh skyline site & the conversation drifted towards nightlife , Charlotte, Greensboro & Winston-Salem. I just wanted my neck of the woods Greensboro not to get over looked in NC talk. I love the Triad, Triangle, & Charlotte aka (Metrolina), outerbanks, Asheville & Wilmington. This is a great state.

7. Jay says:

October 8th, 2010 at 12:18 am (#)

I just checked out that crappy site NC Talk. I was quickly reminded of why Raleigh is so much of a better city than Greensboro. In just an couple more years Raleigh will be 100% redneck free. GOOD RIDDANCE!

October 8th, 2010 at 8:39 am (#)

Danny, our state has many great things to offer, as you implied… Don’t listen to fools who feel the need to belittle other cities every chance they get. Sometimes these comparisons are exaggerated, so don’t pay attention. Hell, even the whole Raleigh vs. Charlotte debate is exaggerated, if you think about it. It is mostly a handful of urban forumers who start trouble, not the vast majority of people. The Triad is a silent player and doesn’t make noise for every great thing that happens there. The only obstacle I see is selfish behavior on behalf on both Greensboro and Winston-Salem. From what I’ve read in the past, these two cities sometimes fight over little things – airport naming included. If they cooperated just a little more, the Triad would have been an even greater place.

9. Andy S says:

October 8th, 2010 at 11:21 am (#)

Didn’t know about that little squabble Ernest. More recently though, the US Secretary of Transportation praised the region for working together: http://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/04/north-carolinas-piedmont-triad-enhancing-livability.html

That’s the type of cooperation I’d like to see between CAMPO and DCHC-MPO. IMO light rail in this region will really drive the sort of development most of us would like to see. Can you imagine living in downtown Raleigh and being able to hop on a train to go to work in RTP? I think you have a lot more people living downtown if that happens.

10. Steve says:

October 8th, 2010 at 12:37 pm (#)

Hey, speaking of which, does anyone know of a site that has Greensboro urban development news?

October 8th, 2010 at 3:33 pm (#)

Andy S, there was a lot of animosity and unhealthy competition in the past, but the Triad’s two major cities have finally taken steps to the right direction. Yes, there is some cooperation, but not enough just yet. This is a problem that Charlotte doesn’t have to deal with, luckily. I think that Raleigh and Durham have better cooperation when it comes to common issues, but both cities have taken their own direction, which is not bad in the long-run. A light-rail proposal that connects the two major downtown areas of the Triangle would be a great start, and I would love to see something similar for the Triad.

Steve, I have a link in my website’s LINK section, titled “Towers of Greensboro”. That is the only online source I can link to regarding urban developments in Greensboro. There are forums where the discussions have been more informative, but in the last few years very little happens, just like here.

12. Hill says:

October 9th, 2010 at 1:51 am (#)

Jay,
    Was that necessary? There are plently of “rednecks” that want to see Raleigh succeed as a world class city.

13. RayP says:

October 9th, 2010 at 8:18 am (#)

I agree Hill If folks could dispense with ALL the negativity, it would be a great thing.

14. Anonymous says:

October 11th, 2010 at 9:33 am (#)

I’m from Oklahoma City, & my wife is for Cary NC. We just moved to Raleigh because my wife spoke so highly of it, & was home sick. Coming from Oklahoma City I think even our skyline looks better & is more dense than Raleigh’s. The two cities are similar in size also. I will say this, Raleigh has a better upside than OKC. It’s too many tornados in & around OKC. Raleigh has great weather & good people.

15. Clint says:

October 11th, 2010 at 9:47 am (#)

Opps I forgot to put my name on what I just posted.

Clint from Oklahoma City

16. Steve says:

October 11th, 2010 at 10:08 am (#)

Hello Clint! Welcome to North Carolina!

I think everyone would agree that Raleigh has a very undersized skyline for its size. Hopefully that will change. There are also a lot of empty lots and surface parking lots that will hopefully be filled in. One such project in west Raleigh just got approval last week. It’s about 6 acres of mostly townhomes.

October 11th, 2010 at 11:57 am (#)

Clint, welcome to the area 🙂

I agree with what you said, and I consider cities like OKC (OK), Little Rock (AK), St Paul (MN), Des Moines (IA) and Tulsa (OK) to provide better skylines comparing to Raleigh. To be fair, OKC is a city of 560,000+ people, and its density sucks (even when considering the urban land), but the skyline is very nice and the Devon Tower will set it apart from many other cities!!! A great addition to OKC’s skyline that I wish we could get here, in Raleigh.

Unfortunately, we always have to say “wait until all the proposed high-rises get built” when we draw comparisons. It is the economic stability that makes us feel a little positive, and even though we know that other cities also have high-rises in the planning stages, we feel that we may get ours built before those cities get theirs. For one, DT Raleigh is underserved when it comes to high-rise living and hotel space, and second, the developers who currently have projects under way may be slow, but they deliver. We are not going to “beat” skylines found in the cities I mentioned earlier, but you will witness the changes, and that makes you a lucky person 😆

Again, welcome to the area and the forum.

18. Clint says:

October 13th, 2010 at 5:50 pm (#)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Ernest I totally agree with you. The Devon Tower is going to help OKC stand out & gain more of an identity. I do feel Raleigh will get a similar tower soon, It just takes time for everything to fall in place. Once a tower like that is built it spurs development. I still have never been to Charlotte, but I’ve read that with their new Duke energy building that opened this year helped spur development of the surrounding area. The building opened the door for 3 new museums & a theater. Hopefully that same thing will happen in OKC & Raleigh. Nashville was going to get a 300m+ building called the signature tower, but everything fell through at the last second.