Back in Raleigh

May 13th, 2011

Between traveling and tornadoes, I haven’t been in town taking photos much lately. While in New York, I picked a new Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 ZE Planar T* lens– which is the near perfect focal length for the South Saunders Raleigh angle (complete with a pleasant looking aperture star). Here are a few new photographs to bridge the gap before I am regularly updating again.

Downtown Raleigh viewed from an airplane window
Downtown Raleigh viewed from an airplane window
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
Fisheye out an airplane window somewhere near the Chesapeake Bay
Fisheye out an airplane window somewhere near the Chesapeake Bay
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
Terminal 2 Lobby at Raleigh-Durham International Airport
Terminal 2 Lobby at Raleigh-Durham International Airport
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.
Expanded Terminal 2 at RDU International Airport
Expanded Terminal 2 at RDU International Airport
Request a print of this photograph. Link to this photograph.

Comments

1. SNEwx_46 says:

May 13th, 2011 at 1:31 pm (#)

That first picture is really cool!

2. Travis says:

May 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm (#)

Wow, how bad do we need something in between Wachovia and RBC… They should put the Edison there. =)

May 13th, 2011 at 2:53 pm (#)

We get to take all those cool trips… Why can I be so lucky? 😆

I also love the first photo. Our little skyline doesn’t look that bad from that angle, but we need at least 2-3 buildings over 500ft along Salisbury and McDowell streets to get some depth in the skyline. Even 1-2 towers along Hillsborough Str would help. Loved the fish-eye photo, too.

Enjoy your new lens, Matt. I am sure you will put it in some good use 😉

4. Unique1 says:

May 13th, 2011 at 3:02 pm (#)

@Travis. At that angle the gap is between RBC and BB&T

As always, great pictures Matt.

5. Travis says:

May 13th, 2011 at 4:06 pm (#)

@Unique1
    On land and a map coming in from the west, yes. I was just keeping it simple with the picture. Right of Wachovia and Left of RBC in the air. Good Lord. If you need me to be more specific, I was referring to the land bound by McDowell, Cabarrus, Davie and Gale. Hope that clears up any confusion out there for you.

May 13th, 2011 at 4:25 pm (#)

@Travis: That is where I am going to build my 90-story skyscraper… Don’t give out the secret spot, I don’t want competition 😆 I agree, and that is always what I have in mind for something over 700ft tall – due to the elevation, it will not appear much taller than RBC Plaza, but it will still tower above every building in the area.

@Unique1: If you are not 100% clear about the location, it is the Enterprise Rentals lot, between the County Jail and the new convention center. That parcel is golden and I can easily envision a couple of towers there. That would create an amazing effect, particularly from the South Saunders Street angle. In the past, I put together some renderings that showed a BofA like tower on that spot… Needless to say, I would love to have such a gorgeous tower on that spot. Either something similar to BofA (Charlotte) or RSA Tower (Mobile, AL). These two towers are the very definition of a skyscraper, IMO.

7. Travis says:

May 13th, 2011 at 4:37 pm (#)

@Ernest: Are these renderings on your site? I would love to see them!

8. Unique1 says:

May 13th, 2011 at 5:52 pm (#)

@ Travis: meant no harm. I am aware of the area and downtown. As a teen I worked at Hardees on Fayetteville 🙂

May 15th, 2011 at 2:22 am (#)

@Travis: No, I have not placed them anywhere outside my hard drive. Quite frankly, I may even have a tough time finding them. They were put together quickly, without any precision. I only wanted to see what the skyline would look like if certain towers were built in specific spots. If I do find something I will let you know.

10. John says:

May 19th, 2011 at 4:05 pm (#)

Looking at that picture of Raleigh’s skyline from the airplane window, I can’t help but wish we had a few more
    towers downtown. Maybe my wish will come true some day.

11. CX says:

June 7th, 2011 at 4:48 pm (#)

Charlotte is lucky to have a tower like the Bank of America tower. Raleigh too will have a crowning building one day. I can wait a bit though, there are a lot of good things going on closer to the ground.